East Africa.....Hong Kong.....Japan.....New Zealand......Chile......Argentina.....Peru
Wow I can’t believe it’s been nearly 6 months since my last blog post! I admit I am a terrible ‘blogger’!! My excuse is that I’ve been having such a great time travelling and seeing different parts of the world that I haven’t had time to blog and quite often, internet access is limited….. Okay that’s a poor excuse but it is true, even with my travel journal, I seem to be always weeks behind writing in it. There has been so many experiences that I want to share, I don’t know where to begin! Since November, I have journeyed through East Africa (Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana and back down to South Africa), navigated the busy streets of Hong Kong and Tokyo (great food!!!), trekked through the beautiful landscape of New Zealand, sampled the cultures in South America (Chile Argentina and Peru), and now working on an archeological project exploring Inca ruins near Machu Picchu. Life is good!
10 Highlights from the past 6 months:
1) climbing and reaching the summit of Kilimanjaro (Tanzania)---and not getting sick!
2) had the most amazing safari day in Serengeti National Park (Tanzania)---saw thousands of wildebeests and zebras, elephant and hippos playing in water, lions mating (it’s quick!), three leopards hanging out on one tree, family of hyenas, classical view of cheetah sitting on a termite mound, a group of more than 14 giraffes huddling close together ……
3) white water rafting down the mighty Zambezi River (Zambia) with a couple of class V rapids---my raft flipped over twice but it was all fun.
4) microlight flight over Victoria Falls (Zambia)---I saw elephants from up in the air!
5) eating lots of tasty foods in Hong Kong, Macau and Tokyo
6) tramping around New Zealand, including four of the Great Walks----such beautiful country!
7) walking and ice climbing on Viedma Glacier (Argentina)---very cool!
8) experiencing the grandeur of the Perito Moreno Glacier (Chile)---This is one of the few glaciers around the world that is actually advancing. The highly anticipated collapsing of the glacier bridge was absolutely amazing! (It collapsed the next morning ~5am.)
9) being surrounded by mountains in Patagonia and the Andes (Argentina, Chile, Peru)
10) trekking the Inca Trail and exploring the magnificent Machu Picchu (Peru)